Pages

5.12.2011

Easy Conversations: Tenisha Anderson x Qlix

Like us, Tenisha Anderson is a dreamer. She advocates our motto, Dare to Dream. Taking action she created a Qlix, an award winning fashion publication with a twist. Published by TenStyle Media Inc., this independent “mag in a bag” dares to be different, by offering more than just stunning visuals and charming content.

As with all our interviewees, they inspired us and we share common interests -- in this case, it is her like for Natalie Massent, Canadian Tyler Brûlé and love for print (watch out for her upcoming stationery line). 
Here goes...
See Qlix online



Illustration by Missy


1. Tell us a bit about yourself, who is Tenisha Anderson and Qlix?
Self-proclaimed 5th hologram of JEM and The Holograms, I try to challenge myself daily and am inspired by what “can’t be done”. I’m obsessed with print…period! I created Qlix as a personal challenge and being frustrated by the type of fashion magazines I came across in the USA, also in my travels to Luxembourg for Colophon 2009, I had came across a couple of publications that challenged the way a magazine’s format was displayed. I wanted to bring this particular type of format to the States and see if I could create something of substance without charging a heart and lung to get it.

2. How would you define your style? What is your philosophy?
My style really depends on my mood, which can and does change from time to time. I don’t really have a “uniform” way of dressing, unless wearing the color black a lot and wearing a cardigan with the majority of my looks counts as a uniform. I guess if I were to have to pick a specific style, it would be a mix of classic and bohemian, meaning I would rock an Alexander Wang T-shirt dress with some penny loafers and a cardigan, etc.

As for as my philosophy, rather style or just in general, I’m an advocate of just “Do YOU!” The people that have remained relevant, respected, and revered in the fashion industry are those that accept themselves as just that…themselves, not some proponent to what the fashion industrysays that you should be.

3. How did you first get involved in publishing? 
I first got involved in publishing working as the assistant to the fashion director for Chicago Magazine. I assisted her mostly with styling on photoshoots, but along with the excitement and grueling challenges of editorial andadvertising styling, I started to become more intrigued with the medium thatthese highly styled photo shoots were going into…magazines. From there I started freelancing for anonline publication based in NYC called Papierdoll.net, where I worked my way upfrom contributing writer to managing editor. Working for a digital publication, fueled my fire even more to want tocreate my own PRINT publication.




4. Who are some of your influencers?

Those that have defy conventionalism, walk at the beat of their own drum no matter how weird that drum beats, influence me. There are so many entrepreneurs and artists that I admire and are inspired and influenced by, but the following are ones that I’m completely enamored with ---Tyler Brulee, Lee Alexander McQueen, Gabrielle “Coco” Chanel, Naomi Sims, Cathy Black, OprahWinfrey, Richard Branson, Seth Godin, Rodarte, and Natalie Massent (founder of Net-A-Porter).

5. Tell us a bit about your creative process.

The creative process for Qlix magazine is pretty organic. My team and I do a lot of brainstorming and pitching back and forth ideas for upcoming issues and projects. When I pick a theme for an issue (whether it is for the print or digital/DISSUE issues) it is always an always non-forced concept. Meaning it literally just came to me, and then I take it from there…not too structured at all.

6. What else do you have in store for the future? 

I have so much in store for TenStyle Media, Inc. and the Qlix magazine brand. I really want to restructure Qlix to “pay it forward” a bit more. As for as the restructuring bit, I’m looking to target Qlix to a more specialized psychographic and will reveal this restructuring in the next few weeks. I’m also working on a creating a stationary line, building a custom publishing division, and I would even like Qlix to have city journals that focus on showcasing the talent within that specific city, kind of like a Qlix/Time Out magazine style. However, I come up with so many projects and ideas that I would love to implement through TenStyle Media, Inc. that my notebook is over flowing.

7. Any tips on getting started in the world of fashion publishing? 
If the doors you are knocking on in the “fashion publishing” industry won’t open or refuse to let you in….build your own door and walk right through. Meaning, don’tever wait for anyone else to give you opportunity. The greatest opportunities are the ones that are created from your own perseverance.

8. What’s playing on your iPod these days? 

Sam Cooke, various 90's RnB tracks, Stevie Wonder, Kanye West, Outkast, Hall and Oats, Adele, My Chemical Romance, Bryan Adams, Cee-Lo Green, Darius Rucker, Musiq Soulchild, etc.

Qlix elsewhere...



* P.S: We cant wait for a possible Qlix Montreal, New York or London *

Aucun commentaire: