Pages

2.17.2010

Easy Conversation: Vashtie Kola




Vashtie Kola does it all! One of NYC promising music videos director, the 20 something Downtown Sweetheart also designs clothes and she knows how to throw a dope party. In other words, everything she touches turns to gold.

We had a little chat with Miss Kola and it went a little something like this...

Can you please introduce yourself who is Va$htie Kola?
I am the immigrant parents dream, the underdog who forced her way in. I am an artist, director, designer, creative consultant, party producer. I make things.

Growing up what did you want to be?
That ranged quite frequently. As a child I believe I wanted to be a veterinarian because

I loved animals. When I was in middle school, I wanted to be a car mechanic because my father was one and I spent a lot of time working on cars. In junior high I wanted to be a pediatrician until I volunteered at a hospital for a summer and couldn't bear to see people in pain. In the beginning of high school I went back and forth between fashion designer, tattoo artist and film maker. I decided to study film because I felt my impact as an artist would reach a greater audience that way.

How different is your creative process when you're working on a video, designing clothes or promoting a party?
It all starts very solitary, with me coming up with ideas and starting from there. In that sense they are the same, but, after that they are very different. Working on a video is always a team effort, there are many cooks in the kitchen. Designing for now is still solitary, and I get to call all the shots because I fund and run my brand. Parties are again, a team effort; however, the gratification is almost always instant when you are at a party and can see the results of your work having a great time!

Who are some of the artists whose work you admire?
Caravaggio, Egon Schiele, Frida Kahlo, Immogen Cunningham, Bruce Davidson, Richard Prince, Jackson Pollack, Elle Von Unwerth...too many to name!

Any directors?
Bertolucci, Fellini, Spielberg, Diane Martel, Anthony Mandler, Chris Cunningham, Mark Romanek, Spike Jonze,

Your clothing line Violette is street-wear but with twist , where do you want to take it?
I hope to see it mirror brands like CHLOE or ALEXANDER WANG with pieces that range from street casual to runway glamour. The Violette girl is multi-faceted...

What are some the projects you're working on?
Upcoming seasons of Violette, my Birthday Party in April, Collaborating on a T-Shirt with Theophilus London, just shot a video for Jaheim and Jadakiss, creative consulting for other brands, making viral content for sites, overall just getting in touch with my own creative roots and making things for fun again. I aim to create a video piece monthly, I just shot a video for Curt@!n$.

What's playing on your Ipod these days?

Theophilus London,

Amanda Blank

Lissy Trullie

Major Lazer

Depeche Mode

The Smiths,

Drake

Deee Lite


She blogs... and she tweets now